Стив Клабник и Ник Кэмерон уходят из Mozilla

https://words.steveklabnik.com/thank-u-next

О.о

Fast forward a few years. Rust has been growing, we’re doing great things. I love my team. But every time that this means interacting with Mozilla more broadly, I end up being frustrated. I could say a lot of things here, but I won’t get into the details. What’s really important is this: I’m not proud to be a Mozillian anymore. A variety of incidents contributed to this, but at the end of the day, it’s what’s true. Furthermore, I don’t have any personal opportunity at Mozilla; I recently discovered I’m the lowest-paid person on my team, and Mozilla doesn’t pay particularly well in the first place. In order to have any kind of career growth, I would have to not do the work that doesn’t align with my skills, and what I’m doing now is really how I can have the most impact on Rust moving forward.

I don’t believe that has any chance of changing; when I’ve tried to express my frustrations, I’ve only gotten disciplined. Mozilla is not interested in hearing what I have to say. And that’s fine, but when I take a step back and think about things, that means it’s time to go, for both my sake and Mozilla’s. So I’ve just put in my two weeks’ notice.

Ну ладно, каждый выбирает себе свою дорогу. Но это печальные новости, его доклады привлекали большое внимание к Расту и как следствие увеличивали число пользователей Раста.

Из гиттера:

Serhii Plyhun @snuk182 Jan 07 19:05:
отставить панику

• клабник прямо жалуется, что ему недоплачивают
  • он не бросает Rust, ему просто не нравится работать на мазилу (см п 1)
  • он палит Фуксию, которая внезапно тоже написана частично на Rust (что лично мне не очень нравится, потому как гуглонарод любит перетягивать одеяло на себя)

вот если побегут Крихтон, Лодка или Ганкро, тогда уже стоит задуматься
ну еще там с десяток тянущих локомотивов, включая Нико
я бы еще добавил, что Клаб ожидает следующую свою позицию связанную с Rust. он об этом прямо не говорит, но прочитать реально

off: А где почитать про фуксию на расте? По интернет-сообщениям выглядит, что там какая-то незначительная часть, которую какой-то команде разрешили в качестве некритичного эксперимента попробовать.

Толковой ссылки найти не могу, вроде в https://github.com/rust-lang/rfcs/pull/2592#issuecomment-438894347 разве что какой-то обзор есть, но и то с фокусом именно на await’ы (о них же задача).

Судя по словам Клабника он и дальше продолжает любить Раст. Главное, чтобы он применил свои навыки и желания в правильном направлении и раст «показал свои зубы»

Я написал Стиву. Он сказал, что он по мере возможности будет стараться и дальше развивать Rust, но всё зависит от новой работы, сколько у него будет времени

Ник Камерон тоже уходит

:thinking:

Он пишет что его уход никак не связан с уходом Клабника и нет никаких поводов разводить конспирологические теории.

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Just a quick update: You may have noticed that, in the last month or so, a number of Rust core team members have changed their jobs and/or their roles in the project. Two people have decided to step back from the core team:

With Rust 2018 having shipped, this is a natural time of transition. While we’ll miss Nick and Aaron’s contributions to the core team, we are very excited for them to be focusing on something new, and we’re very happy that they are still going to stay involved with Rust. We’re also looking into growing the core team to help with the work ahead.

Finally, two other members have changed their jobs, but plan to stay involved in the core team:

That’s it!

1 лайк